Monday, June 11, 2007

Northeast Branch Pictures




One of the reasons I enjoy living in Riverdale is having the Northeast Branch of the Anacostia River running right through the town. It certainly isn't the most impressive body of water, but it does offer a small break from the roads, homes, and general confusion of our society. With the trail system that runs along the river, it provides a quick dose of outdoor recreation that would otherwise be hard to fit in with my life. Sunday I was able to put together an hour long walk down the trail through Edmonston and into Bladensburg.
The picture above was taken in Bladensburg where the Northeast Branch Trail ends, and the Anacostia River trail begins. It looked like a pair of ducks in the distance and a heron of some sort in the foreground.

To the left is a lone duck that was ducking its head under water. This shot was also taken in Bladensburg.

The picture below is a bird I spotted along a drainage ditch next to the Northeast Branch Trail in Riverdale. I believe the bird in the photo is a Black Crowned Night Heron. I'm an amateur at bird spotting, so I could be off. But it looks similar to a description I saw of a juvenile of that species.



While looking for information about the Anacostia River, I came across a website for Friends of Sligo Creek. On one of their pages they also mentioned a website for Neighbors of the Northwest Branch. I couldn't find anything online about any groups dedicated to the Northeast Branch of the Anacostia. I would love to hear from anybody who knows anything about any such group.
http://www.fosc.org/fosc.htm
http://www.neighborsnwb.org/

No comments: