Wednesday, June 6, 2007

My Life in Riverdale Park

I've been a lifelong resident of Maryland, but recently moved to Riverdale Park in Prince George's County in the past year. I grew up in Montgomery County and then Baltimore County. I first lived in PG several years ago when I was in grad school. My wife and I lived in an apartment complex in Hyattsville, and really loved the area. She is from NY, but loves the DC area. After getting a job in DC, we decided we wanted to buy a home in PG county near where we had rented. With an entry level salary and while beginning a family, there weren't a lot of options for us. We would drive around the area, but most places were financially out of the question. I remember one day about 2 years ago, driving past Hyattsville into Riverdale. I remember thinking it would be a nice neighborhood to live in. It was a nice looking neighborhood, and I loved the welcome feeling that came from driving past the town center. I remember calling a realtor about the cost of one home, realized it was reasonable. While my wife and I weren't quite ready to buy, I remember saying to her that Riverdale was the place I would really like to live.

Fast forward a year or so, and my wife and I still didn't own a home. We were saving up money, but in no particular hurry to buy. My mother in law was in town from NY, and wanted to drive through some neighborhoods to yard sale and potentially look at open houses...a hobby of hers. We ended up in Riverdale, and my memory of the home I liked led me to turn down the road it was on. I pointed out the home that had been on the market a year earlier, and as we round the corner, we see another home for sale on that street. It was a great location...right across from the Anacostia River Trail and a park. A phone call to the realtor led to a viewing of the house the next day, an offer the following day, and a purchase contract within 4 days.

While the home buying process went fast for us, it took us a while to get moved in. Once we were settled with the improvements we wanted to make before moving in, everything was great. With our first spring almost behind us, I am truly happy to have made the decision to move to Riverdale. Its convenient to my job in DC, while it still feels like a town...not just a suburb. Taking a walk in Riverdale is always pleasant...whether down to the farmers market on Thursday, to Riversdale Mansion, or along the Anacostia River. Monday evening I took a walk with my son on the Anacostia River Trail. Just a short walk from our house, I was able to stop for a few minutes and watch a couple of beavers in the river. While I was watching them, an Oriole flew by me. Spotting that bird(2nd time this spring) which I know is so rare to see, certainly was special. Living in an area so near the nation's capital, but where you get that feeling like you could be far away is not available to many people.

So why create a blog about my life in Riverdale, which is just getting started. I enjoy living here and want to share that with others. I enjoy how the Gazette, the town crier, and some other blogs I've found report on local issues. I want a place to be able to share my views about Riverdale Park and the surrounding areas.

No comments: