Monday, December 10, 2007

Christmas Season is Here

This weekend truly felt like the beginning of the Christmas season for my family. We drove out to the country and cut down our Christmas tree Saturday morning, and spent the afternoon decorating the tree and putting up lights outside. There are some houses in Riverdale that really get in the Christmas spirit and put up some great displays outside of their homes. However, I wish more of our neighbors would get involved in decorating. I don't expect every house to have elaborate Christmas decorations, but neighborhoods with lots of lights truly feel welcoming during an otherwise dreary winter season. With the early onset of darkness in winter, the lights have a great effect.

After we were satisfied with our day's worth of Christmas preparation, we headed over to the Holiday Festival at Town Center. Their was a very positive vibe at the festival, and it seemed like vendors, musicians, and attendees were all in a friendlier than usual mood. I guess there is something to the idea of holiday spirit! I was happy to see a good turnout, especially among children. There seemed to be plenty of activities to keep people entertained. I'm happy that Riverdale was able to put on a good event. Hopefully the Holiday Festival will become an annual tradition for my family and the rest of the town. I think organizing a fundraiser for a local charity or organization might be something that would fit well with the Holiday Festival. With such a good turnout of people, this would be a good time to try and promote positive citizenship in the community.

PS...I'm happy with the early Christmas gift from Prince George's county. The new recycling bins will be great for promoting a more environmentally conscious town.

No comments: