Saturday, August 4, 2007

Stolen Car

After less than a year of living in Riverdale Park, I have had my first incident of crime against my property. I set out Wednesday morning to run an errand, only to find the car I intended on driving missing from outside of my house. I was hoping to myself that the car was towed, although I could think of no valid reason why, and the dispatcher from the Riverdale Park police department confirmed to me that it was not towed. This was a huge letdown.

An officer from the town police came, and was helpful in explaining what happened. Apparently there were people breaking into cars along our street and taking stereos. Our car was supposedly a good car to get away in, because its make is known as an easy car to pop the ignition.

So several hours later while I was at work, the police department left me a message that the car was found, on 55th Pl. The good news was that contents of the car remained, including my kid's car seat. The car was towed and I am now responsible for going through the process of having it released from impound. I'll have to pay my insurance deductible and probably be without the car a little longer while it is being repaired. Its a hassle on my end, and the criminals will likely never be found for it.

Its frustrating to consider that the criminals probably lived just across Kenilworth, near where the car was dumped. I feel safe in my neighborhood, but a moderate distance away there appears to be plenty of problems. This past month a 19 year old man of latin descent was killed in the 5400 block of Riverdale Rd. Thats only a few minute walk from my house. While I don't head over to that area on foot because I have no reason to, it isn't reassuring to read about that in the news. This personal incident I had reminds me that although my immediate street appears quiet and friendly, that I don't live that far from people who are willing to travel here to damange and steal the property of others. I know it is unlikely to happen, but I would really love to see the area transform so that no part of Riverdale appears crime ridden.

No comments: